Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Chapter 23: Coffeehouse mis-en-scene

After the quality of coffee, or quite possibly equal to it, the ambience and surroundings of a coffee shop are priority. Such surroundings are what makes one go out and seek a cup of coffee instead of just doing so at home.

The Raven is like the Los Angeles of Blade Runner. It is crowded and there is a lot to see but damn it if it isn’t a lot of great stuff to see. Books are everywhere, esoteric pop culture posters adorn the walls, and other ephemera are scattered. The lighting is low and the music is (usually) just right. The place started off like that and it has only grown over time.

The Bean and Brew on the other hand was barren. The walls were dark, the lighting was nearly non-existent. I imagine if Axl Rose ever decided to open a coffeehouse it would look an awful lot like the Bean and Brew. I wish there was more to describe but I can’t elaborate on nothingness.

The clientele at each shop also varied to the extremes. While I may not like a lot of people at either place chances were that I would find a kindred sprit at the Raven. The Bean and Brew on the other hand would be a place of silence. I remember going there years ago to meet up with some people to film a scene in a movie. Nobody knew each other at the Bean and Brew but when it was found out that everyone there at that moment was all there to film that scene it spoke volumes of the awkward nature of the place. Nobody was open there. Nobody shared and nobody connected.

But if there was something the Bean and Brew had was the upstairs. Off-limits to everyone except if a band was playing, I was privileged to be able to go up there a few times.

The place was amazing. There was junk all over the place. Broken glass was on the floor. The windows were huge and stylized. I was able to go up there back when RJ and Matt were playing there on a weekly basis. I filmed them up there playing some tunes, writing, and chatting. That was the atmosphere that the place should have had. It was like a haunted house that I could roam around in safely.

Probably the last time that RJ and Matt played at the Bean and Brew I tried to go upstairs. I was stopped by the owner. Even though I was permitted to by the band and had done so on numerous occasions I was unable to go upstairs. At the time the owner seemed to be trying his best to make sure that any greatness that his place achieved over time was sucked dry as fast as possible.

That was the last time I willingly went there. That day, a lot of people stopped going.

Why? Come back tomorrow. I promise.

No comments: