Thursday, February 28, 2008

Chapter 20: Denny's Rex

May 2005 A.R.

It was the end of my time at U of M Flint. With summer vacation upon me I concentrated on my job at the video store. But I found myself without having to deal with things like “French homework” and “crappy American literature.” I had a lot more money suddenly because I was working more hours at the video store and spending less money having to drive to Flint 3 days a week. Having had such a rough year emotionally, physically, and academically, I figured there was only one place to return to.

During my year in Flint I tried to go to Port Huron when I had the chance. There were times it would be weeks between trips. Sometimes there would be a trip once a week. But nothing was to the point I could integrate myself into any meaningful social situation for very long. I would always have to return home quick.

But now, now was different. I was able to return to see the people that made Port Huron great. And I did it at the caffeinated, smoky womb of Denny’s.

While I was gone I noticed that the group of people I hung out with got bigger. There were some new faces that were around. Eddie, Mike, and some others became part of the crew. What more, they weren’t douche bags. Well, there was one but I won’t get into that. The point is that these people were interesting. I care deeply for those I have close to me but to have the group grow like that while I was gone was astounding.

While Denny’s became the focal point for some social gatherings we expanded. With RJ and Matt “touring” various venues in the surrounding counties we followed. Each time we went to what was sure to be the prime late-night diner and brought havoc in our wake. We stayed, annoyed the wait staff, ordered little food, drank a lot of coffee, and made obscene drawings on placemats.

It felt good to be home again. But this isn’t Denny’s I’m talking about exactly, is it?

This is a spiritual thing. While location does matter it is the spirit of the gathering that makes it the best. If there is a running theme in all the posts of this epic is that it is the people I am with that makes the difference more than the actual restaurant. Denny’s is important mainly because it is open all day every day. But it is about who we are with. I may go by myself some nights but I don’t like to stick around.

I realize that this can possibly lend itself to herd mentality. I could quote an obvious song from the Beatles right now but I won’t.

I’m wondering now if Denny’s is just an abstraction. Did I or anyone need Denny’s? Is the spiritual quality of it mobile? For if other restaurants can have that same spirit then I’d like to think that such spirit has mobility.

But Denny’s is important. If I could just go anywhere for a late night fix I would. But Denny’s has a good chunk of my memories encased in its walls.

Spirit may be mobile but memories are fixed.

***

Epilogue tomorrow.

No comments: